Sunday, September 6, 2015

Hurry Slowly: The Importance of Slowing Down

As I've transitioned to the Houston area, I have been in the midst of a lot of change and have been eager to get everything in my life worked out quickly, a little too quickly sometimes. Throughout my time at seminary, I was shown the importance of silence and solitude at seminary, especially because our culture tries to speed us up and overwork us, both in business and in pleasure. However, I have come to find out that there are several myths behind why I move so quickly.

Firstly, I have come to believe in large part that if I don't provide for myself, I won't get what I am after. The tension between trusting in God and doing our own part seems to be only a heart issue, but I am coming to find out that the difference between trust and not trust actually is reflected in our actions as well. When we "slow down to speed up", we take time to make decisions and pursue our goals. This slower pace makes it easier to hear and follow the voice of God. A good friend of mine calls this "hurrying slowly". For instance, I can rush in and out of romantic situations hoping to discern quickly whether any given match is a good fit. This comes from the belief that God will not provide the relationships that I need. While we don't sit on our hands and wait for life to come to us, we take our pace slowly, bringing up the sail of our hearts so that it can be guided by the hand of God. Therefore, whether it comes to job, relationship, or moving decisions, the best way to acquire the discernment to move forward is to have already developed the habit of slowing down in order to listen to God.

Secondly, I believe that our culture has come to worship and idolize those who make decisions very quickly. They are the leaders who can step up to the helm in the midst of chaos and bring order. However, while one can go too slow, I am coming to realize that even the most discerning Christians I know were never able to discern the character or people or the health of environments without slowing down, listening, and giving months to this process of discernment.

Third, I have come to realize that even the successes that I have when moving quickly really came from the hand of God. He was the one who connected the dots and opened the doors. When I realize that, I gain the hope and freedom necessary to slow down and listen to the dear small voice of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment